Saturday, December 8, 2012

December tournament selection


In my previous post I said,

"To miss late December MTTs, which are full of weak players as during no other time of the year, is almost unforgiveable."

For now I'm sticking with my strategy of playing only SNGs, but if while doing that I grind up my bankroll significantly by Christmas, I might take a few shots at the MTTs that give me the best chance to cash.  I'm about dead even so far this month (-$2.42), but there's time to open up a window big enough to take a few MTT shots after Christmas.

Playing only SNGs is the right move for now, but they definitely aren't a long-term solution.  The players that grind SNGs relentlessly and make a decent income do a huge volume while multitabling, sometimes playing 100 a day or more.

I'm not capable of doing that.  It's way too much on which to concentrate, and with my memory issues, there is no chance that I would remember how certain players played, and be able to use that information if I played against them again.  I take notes, which helps a little, but I could never play a bunch of tables, take notes on players, and keep track of everything that was going on.  If you've seen the sci-fi movie "Scanners," which features human heads exploding after telepathic attacks--that would be me if I tried to play 100+ SNGs a day.

It would help a lot if  Holdem Manager would add the Winning Poker Network (which includes Americas Cardroom) so that I would have some tracking information to go on.  They keep saying it's coming, but they were saying that six months ago.  Tracking software wouldn't make me capable of playing 24 tables, but it would help, regardless of what games I was playing.

Ultitmately, the goal is the same--to get my bankroll high enough so that I can ride the MTT variance roller coaster and generate a decent income from a few big scores during the year.  In fact, even though the players get better as you move up to more expensive tournaments, in some ways it is easier (once one has the proper bankroll) to play at higher limits.  More about that in a future post.




No comments:

Post a Comment