Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Americas Cardroom user complaints, part 2 of 2

In yesterday's post I crossposted six criticisms of the software from members of the 2+2 poker forums.  Today, I am crossposting my solution, which I know will not be heeded:

I was a computer science major for three semesters in the 1980s, before my college had a modem. We learned to write good code that had been extensively tested, and it was hammered into us over and over that the code had to do what it was supposed to do, and it MUST be both user-friendly and idiot-proof.

I am certainly not up on current languages or coding procedures, but once I understood the language, I would like to think that I could find the reason that the 5-minute tournament break countdown clock often starts over a minute before my table finishes, leaving me with a break of something like 3:35. There should be code that says something like this (pardon my possibly ancient psuedocode):

IF (all tables finished) = TRUE
THEN (start coundown clock)

Clearly that hasn't happened, unless it's in the update (my computer is in the shop so I haven't played in several days.) Why? Writing the code to solve this may be a lot harder than I think, but the concept is simple.

There have been so many things. What is wrong with the table-balancing subroutine which occasionally puts me in a hand heads-up with 200 players left in a MTT? The only possibilities that I can think of are:

1. There is a problem with the code that moves players to balance the tables.

2. The table balancing code is OK, but players are moved too slowly, taking up empty spots one by one while I am playing the heads-up hand.

User friendly? No. Solvable. It should be.

Basic fixes like this should be priority #1 before adding new games, table themes, bigger cards, or anything else. There is no reason that players have to sit and watch while their blinds are stolen. That, like so many of these lingering issues, is totally unacceptable.

If it was my call, I would seriously consider apologizing to all the players and announcing that:

1. Effective immediately, no more tournaments will be started.

2. When the last tournament is finished, all games on the Winning Poker Network will be shut down. The network will remain open for those who wish to make a withdrawal from their poker account. No new sign-ups will be taken during this time.

3. All possible resources will be devoted to fixing these issues which affect the integrity of the games, and if necessary, we will call in outside consultants to help us do this as quickly as possible.

4. In the future, more resources will be devoted to fixing anything that might give certain players an unfair advantage, or that might otherwise affect the integrity of the games.

5. ACR will post daily updates on 2+2, updating players on our progress.

6. As soon as these issues are resolved, the site will be back up.

7. To help make up for income lost by players, when we return we will offer [double-rakeback days, or some other significant benefit] to those who are currently reigstered on this site. Only players who are registered on the Winning Poker Network when we resume full operation will be eligible for this benefit.

-----------

There are of course things that would have to figured out, such as how this shutdown would affect time-lmited contests such as rake races or leaderboards. But I think it's the way to go.
Poker Clif is online now Report Post

No comments:

Post a Comment