Friday, February 24, 2017

A Pretty Good Month


I'm pretty happy with how this month has gone, especially considering that I was sick for two weeks. I was a mess.  My sneezing, nose-blowing and other scary noises were frightening our cats and I felt lousy.  I rarely get sick and it's no fun at all when I do..

I persevered through all of that and it looks like this month will be better than the last one.  Of course, I could get hit by negative variance, causing me to crash and burn the last three days of the month.

That's not really likely though because I'm very careful with my bankroll management,  For January I was up $38.60. With three days left in February (and fewer days in the month) I'm up $53.02 for the month.

One of the advantages of playing on a low-traffic site like Juicy Stakes Poker is that I get to know the other players really well.  When I'm playing against 70 or fewer players, many of whom I play against several times a week, it doesn't take long to compile some pretty good statistics on how they play.  When a player does something unusual I can also type a note.  After seeing that player a few more times, I'll check that not and get a good sense of whether that player is as crazy as I thought he was.

When I was doing nothing but playing poker this month everything went quite well, but while I was sick a lot of other things didn't get done.  I didn't study much.  I wasn't doing the day-to-day things like checking my E-mail or doing my administrative tasks for poker--which left me with a mess to clean up.

When I do nothing but play small tournaments all day I can wind up playing several each day.  I've been meaning to fix a glitch in my records.  I put together a spreadsheet for keeping track of my live tournament results, but I knew that I was going to have to expand it.  Now that time has come, and it's a little messier than I thought.

It's been a long time since I have had to split or freeze windows for very large spreadsheets, and I've never had a poker spreadsheet this big.  Also, I have it set up with side-by-side records for each poker site, because I thought that I would be playing about the same number of tournaments on each site, which would mean that I could scroll the whole thing up or down.  The problem is that I have  have only played on one site this month and I could soon wind up with one site taking up more than 100 rows than the other..

So, I have to fix the spreadsheets.  I have to get back to spending 25% of my time studying,*  It's been almost a month since I put in a 40-hour week, and that should be the minimum.  It's time to embrace the grind.

-----------------

*Given  the importance of building a decent bankroll so that I can play higher stakes, I might let the study percentage slip a bit until I have over $500 on Juicy Stakes..  I will make sure to study every day in March so that I don't completely stop working on my weak areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment