Tuesday, February 14, 2017

I Hate Our Horrible Choices For Online Poker Sites



I played a tournament tonight and it was exactly like last night.  I wasn't catching any cards.  I finally got a decent hand (AT again) and I shoved again.  The only difference this time is that I was against one pair instead of two.  I lost to 77.

I checked the time and there was another decent tournament that had started a few minutes earlier. I looked for it and couldn't find it anywhere.  I was certain that it should be there because just a few days earlier I started an Open Office File called "Best Available Tournaments as of 2/9/0217 just so I wouldn't have this problem.  It has very detailed information on every tournament.  This is the listing of the tournament that I was looking for. The bold is for something that is especially good about that tournament.:

2314/JS/$100 GTD BTY/$2.20 with $1 to prize pool and $1 to bounty/30 minutes late registration/2,000 starting chips, 5 minute breaks/15 minute blind levels.

I went into tonight's tournament  knowing what I was looking for and where to look for it, but it wasn't there..  I couldn't find it.  I've been sick and was wondering if I was losing it. I checked the above-mentioned file and it was indeed on the list. I checked the Juicy Stakes Poker list of tournaments for tomorrow and there it was.   But I couldn't do anything to join a tournament 5 minutes late, and it's not the first time I've had trouble figuring out how to navigate Juicy Stakes Poker.  There are a lot of good reasons why I stopped playing on that site for more than a year.

Any reasonably intelligent person, knowing nothing about poker, could watch a friend play and know that something was off.  I'll give a couple examples of what I call "nonsense messages."

Example 1, Americas Cardroom: 

It is common to see a message that I am going to be moved to a new table.  That message is always posted after I have already been moved.

Example 2, Juicy Stakes Poker:

Several times during tonight's tournament when I was moved to new table, I got a message that the tournament was about to start.  This isn't rocket science.  Anyone who has participated in or watched any kind of tournament, whether it's poker or chess or softball, knows that a tournament by definition has one start and one end.  You play until there is one person or team left standing.

Nonsense messages like this are strangely common.  The worst part is a player who reports  a problem, whether large or small, is often ignored.  Two problems that I reported to ACR were recently fixed--more than a year after the problems were brought to their attention.

It's sloppy and unprofessional.  The term "amateur hour" comes to mind.  The flower shop around the corner wouldn't get away with operating like poker sites do.




No comments:

Post a Comment