Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Biggest Battles Aren't Always at the Table


I was busy with other things much of the day yesterday, so I didn't get to play a lot.  I did play a SNG that took over 1.5 hours to play, then I got busy with other things.  I wasn't worried about it because starting iearly in the evening I was free, and I was rested enough to play well into the morning..

When I tried to start playing last night, Americas Cardroom was down again.  I hit the REGISTER button to get in a SNG.  Nothing happened.  I decided to try something else, so I hit the CASHIER button to see how much money I had on the site.  Again, nothing happened.  Everything was down.  I tried again a couple hours later.  Still down.

As usual, I found things to do to keep busy.  I watched TV and goofed off for a while, but I also watched some poker videos.  I just finished watching a video on how to play speculative hands.  That was useful, because I don't play suited aces often enough and I need to be reminded of that from time to time.  It's not a huge leak, but it's a leak.

That's what happened online.  The live poker situation is equally ridiculous.

I went down to my local poker room (which I have begun calling the Information Black Hole) to find out what was happening over the July 4th holiday weekend.  They didn't know.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I visited them on Saturday (it's Sunday Morning now) and they don't know if they will be open less than a week from now. How is that possible?  How can the players, the employees, or anyone else operate in a situation like that?

My answer is that I can't and I won't.  The local poker room is 1.8 miles from my house, but I almost always drive 30 miles to a poker room in another city.

It would be really nice if I could just play without having to fight so many battles to do so.  I'm trying hard not to come across as a whiner, but the truth is that sometimes it's very hard just to cut through the crap so that I can play poker. To give you an honest picture of what my days are like I have to tell you the good, the bad and the ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment