Thursday, July 14, 2016

Technical Issues and Other Stuff


This has been a weird year for poker.  I've made a lot of changes, I've fought and I"m still fighting a lot of technical and other issues and it doesn't seem like I'm getting anything done.  I'm not making any money and I'm not putting in as many hours as I should.

Those issues are definitely being addressed.  I've done a lot of work on my game, learned a lot of new things and tried a lot of new things at the table.  Some of the new things worked and some need work.

Now that I have the top 20% of hands memorized, I thought I was ready to go.  The problem was that I didn't really think through which of those hands I wanted to play in what situations.  For example, aces are in the top 20% but so are Q9s and JTo.  I had not thought very much about which hands to open with, from what positions and in what situations.  That's rather important.

I haven't really worked on that at the tables very much.  The top 20% of hands are very playable early in a deep MTT, but that range is usually way too loose early in a SNG.  Since I can't play that many hands in an online SNG I can only work on that during a live tournament--and I'm only playing live once a month because of bankroll issues.  Most of my poker money is online right now and I need to build up a live bankroll.

I'll briefly run down some of the other things I've been working on:

Limping with a mixture of pairs, suited connectors, good hands and sometimes throwing in any two broadways to make myself unpredicatable, maybe even a little scary.

Trying to pick up timing tells online.

Playing a few small MTTs online, usually two or three a week.  I got a small cash, coming in 8th of 44, about half an hour ago.

I have two online poker sites up and working with Holdem Manager.  It turns out that the action on Juicy Stakes Poker is close to dead, but it's an emergency alternative where I can usually find something to play if ACR is down.  Two great alternatives--one with very few players and one that crashes at least once a week.

I will go into more detail on some of the issues and what I'm doing about them in the next few days, including going over some numbers..




No comments:

Post a Comment