Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Reevaluating My Work Hours


Before I get to the main point of my post, a quick update:

The fun never ends.

Because I'm a night owl and I do my best work when it's quiet, my best work hours are are between about midnight and 0400.  Not tonight.  It's 0213 and Holdem Manager is down with a server problem, which means that if I played now my results wouldn't be recorded.  I have to find other ways to amuse myself.

----------

My goal, once I had my home office properly set up (which I hope will be by the end of this week) was 50 hours per week. A few days ago I realized that that goal is probably too high given the way I count my hours.

I count my time by events to the nearest quarter hour.  For example, if I study flash cards for 13 minutes, that goes down as 0.25 hours.  If I play a SNG for 80 minutes I record that as 1.25 hours.

Remember, I only record my time when on a specific poker-related task.  Bathroom breaks or lunch breaks don't count.  I won't just go in the office for three hours and come out thinking that I worked all that time.  To use the examples in the paragraph above, if I study flash cards from 1200-1213, that goes down as 1.25 hours.  If I play my SNG from 1233-1243, that's another 1.25 hours.  The time between 1213 and 1233 doesn't count.

 I have ADD and I can easily get distracted or lazy.  Tracking every minute of actual work time helps keep me on task.

Given the way I add up my work hours, trying to put in fifty hours a week isn't realistic.  Once I'm making a real income, which should make my job more respected by friends and family, 50 hours per week might be a more reasonable goal.  For now 40 hours is much more realistic, and I expect to hit that goal every week, starting in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment