Friday, June 8, 2012

Poker without Psalty

In my previous post, I mentioned that as one of her final acts, Psalty purred me to first place in a ~200-player tournament.  That was not even close to correct.  I played a 585-player tounament and did not cash, but immediately after that I cashed for $66.00 in a 30-player $3.30 buy-in tournament.  For a tournament that small it had a pretty good prize pool, because it had an optional $3 rebuy and $3 add-on, so a  lot of players were putting extra money in the pool.

A tournament can be more or less attractive for many reasons, such as: prize pool, strength of players, blind structure, speed, buy-in, overlays (extra money sometimes contributed to the tournament by the poker site), guarantees (a minimum prize pool guaranteed by the site, no matter how many players enter), how long it takes (someone may not have time to play for several hours). and various other considerations.  In the case of the 30-player tournament, I decided that the less-than-ideal structure was outweighed by other considerations.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but a tournament is never just a tournament.

Playing without my poker buddy is certainly different.  It's lonely.  On the other hand, I can put something wherever I want on my desk, I don't have to plan around taking care of a sick cat, and multitabling is now an option.

As I have ADD, having fewer distractions is a big plus. Even so, it will be a long time before it feels right.

2 comments: