Friday, March 18, 2011

A night of small cashes

Last night (ending this morning) was my longest nonstop session in quite a while.  That is partly because I went fairly deep in my first try at a large-field tournament (1,000 players) in a while.  But it was a small cash, because most of the money is always made at the final table.

Still, it's good discipline for me to play tournaments that force me to sit there for a long time.  I started the session at 1745 yesterday, and ended at 0122 today, close to 8 hours later.

Psalty had a problem with the session.  She laid on the desk the whole time, and got lots of petting (she's 20 years old and she doesn't do much but sleep and purr), but she was disappointed at my choice of snacks--chocolate (which cats can't have), pretzels, and a carrot.  She loved the smell of the carrot, but after one lick she decided it wasn't as good as it smelled.

Here are the results of my night of small cashes, including a 27-player tournament from an earlier (afternoon session):

Afternoon session
$1.20 27-player tournaments, 5th place, $2.20, net result +$1.00

Evening session
$1.10 1,000-player tournament, 32nd place, $4.00, net result +$2.90
$1.40 90-player knockout tournament, 11th place, $2.20, bounty for one player knocked out, $0.25,
net result +$1.05

The good news is that I was 3 for 3 cashing, the bad news is that I got the minimum cash in the two smaller tournaments.  Still, I'm pretty happy.  I got some time in, and worked on parts of my game in specific situations.  I went fairly deep in a large field after not playing a large tournament for a while.

Most important, it's going to be another week in the black, I'm rebuilding my bankroll, and good things are ahead.  I'll continue to mix in some large-field tournaments, I'll start playing more than one table again, and in general I'll start taking the risks that are necessary to reap the financial rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment