Friday, March 25, 2011

A messed up week (two storms)

I"m down about $4 for the week, which ends tomorrow at midnight, but that's not the issue.  I try to win every month, but I know it's not going to happen every week.  The main problem has been the weather.

There were two storms this week, a thunderstorm, and what the National Weather Service calls a "winter storm."  The first storm knocked power out for 3 hours, but I also didn't play for several hours on either side of the storm.  I don't have the bankroll to be putting money at risk when I might lose my internet connection.

The second was part of a "winter storm warning", which promised a combination of rain, freezing rain, snow, and sleet.  I know that ice on power lines can cause a lot of trouble, so again I didn't play.  Schools were closed, my wife's car door was almost frozen shut, and driving was teacherous.  I never lost my connection or power, but again, I didn't want to take the chance of losing my internet connection once money was invested.

The Catch-22 here is that I'm not playing for enough money that paying for redundant or backup systems (backup power supply, air card for my wife's laptop, generator) makes financial sense.  One option, once we have an air card, would be to figure out the closest place with 24 hour wi-fi, grab my wife's laptop, and jump in the car.

The problem with that plan is that I really don't want to mess with moving my database to another computer (which is necessary to use the heads-up display, displaying the statistics on opponents I have played against previously).  And of course, if power is down, I can't move anything from my desktop. 

But if I'm already in a tournament, playing without a HUD would be better than not playing at all.  After all,  once I've paid the entry fee, what would I have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment