Thursday, March 10, 2011

A breakeven day

Nothing much to talk about, yesterday I played two 90-player tournaments, missed in one and got the last cashing spot (12th) in the other one.  Net result, down 60¢.  I need to get more tournaments in, and I'll start playing more than one table soon.  I wanted to be really safe and just get a few extra dollars to get me some wiggle room with that bankroll.  Now that I've done that, I can open things up a little bit.

I've been working on being more agressive, and playing more hands, but I'm discovering that the structure of this particular tournament really rewards patience. The blinds don't go up very fast, in fact, I did some math and if I didn't play a hand I wouldn't get knocked out until between 100 and 110 minutes.  These tournaments usually take around 4 hours.  That's a lot of time to wait for good cards--I could wait as long as an hour for good cards and still have a pretty good chance to catch up.  And that's what happened yesterday.

In my last tournament yesterday I started out by losing a lot of small pots, and didn't take one down until more than 1/2 hour into the tournament.  I was a small stack most of the way, but since I don't waste chips on marginal hands, I hung on to most of what I had, finally won back-to-back medium-sized pots, and two hours in, I was suddenly 8th of of 15, and in good position to cash.

After that I didn't get much in the way of good cards, and my stack gradually dwindled.  But I got in for the 12th and final spot, and when I've spent much of the tournament card-dead, I can't really complain about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment