Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Setting Up The New Process


It's January 12 and I'll still tweaking my systems and procedures, but things are starting to fall into place:

1. My mother-in-law has three caregivers now.  For a while we were down to two, myself and another family member, who each stayed with my mother-in-law three to four days a week.  Now we have a third caregiver and I will only be a live-in two days a week.  That will make it a lot easier to plan, study and play.

2. After 15 years of driving the same car until it died, we now have a new(er) car that is safe to drive out of town.  That gives me access to six charity poker rooms within 40 miles instead of just one in my city.

3. I'm watching less TV, which gives me more time for poker.  I have also time shifted a lot of my viewing, watching some of my favorite shows On Demand when I come home and unwind, often after midnight, after playing a live tournament.

I also work at making the time with my mother-in-law count.  When we are watching TV together I often watch one of my on-demand shows if I think she will like it.  When she is asleep I use some of that time to study, or to play SNGs or an occasional small MTT.  I can definitely do more of that than I have been, as she sleeps about 13.5 hours  a night.

4. After years of frustration I have finally solved a problem with tracking software,  The problem was that antivirus programs interfere with Holdem Manager, a database/statistical tracker/heads-up-display that tracks hundreds of statistics on your play and that of all of your opponents.  This information can be used in real time at the table, or studied later.

Until now, the choice was to play poker without antivirus software, or get a separate computer just for poker, where antivirus software would not be needed.   That is no longer an issue.  I played about 50 SNG hands with Avast antivirus in Gaming mode, and another 50 hands when it was in Silent mode with no issues either time.

I still have a lot of things to figure out and implement, but it's a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment