Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Big Tournament Weekend


It's finally happening.  I am free to make my own schedule and play live poker almost any time I want.  This weekend I will be playing three tournaments: one tonight, one tomorrow afternoon and one tomorrow night.  They will all take place at my favorite room in Grand Rapids, about 30 miles from where I live in Michigan.

It's an interesting setup.  I will be playing at a room that is inside a bowling alley that is inside a country club.  In 2015 I had a lot of problems getting there because of road construction, but in January that's not an issue.

My only problem with the 30-mile drive is that I haven't figured out the best and cheapest way to listen to audio books.  I hate to waste a one-hour round trip when I could "read" one of the Great Books or learn something.  I would like to listen to The Art of War by Sun Tzu, which seems fitting when I'm on my way to a poker tournament.

Ideally, I would like to find an audio book solution that costs no more than Kindle Books, which are usually around six dollars.  I don't have an audio jack or USB connection in my car.  There is a CD player, but do companies even sent those by snail mail?  I guess this isn't an area where I'm up on the latest technology.  I'm certainly not afraid of technology.  I play poker online incorporating a statistics tracker, database and heads-up display.  I was a computer science major for three semesters--in the 1980s.

If you have an idea about the cheapest and most efficient way to listen to audio books on my way to and from tournaments, please help me out and post something in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment