Friday, January 15, 2016

Live Tournament Tonight, Using Videos for Study


I will be playing live tonight at a fairly new room about 35 miles from my house.  I've played there a few times.  I might do a room review on here an/or on the twoplustwo.com poker forums, where I do a lot of my studying.  The forum has a regional thread for West Michigan.

For a long time most of my studying has been done with a combination of poker books and poker forums.  In the last few months that has changed.  I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year 50% or more of my study time is watching videos.

There has been an explosion of "how to" videos online on just about any topic and subtopic you can think of.  I just typed "how do I fix a toilet" into Google and I got this:

how do I fix a toilet
how do I fix a toilet that won't flush
how do I fix a toilet that won't stop running
how do I fix a toilet that rocks

I can do the same thing with poker.  I subscribe to a poker coaching site (a bargain at $10 a month) run by a two-time World Poker Tour Player of the Year.  He and other pros have videos on a variety of topics.  Most of the videos include recordings of actual online tournaments at every level from beginners to top pros, showing part or all of a tournament with commentary on what the players are doing right and wrong in different situations.  I can go to other places, such as Google, YouTube, Poker News or Poker News Daily and watch poker videos there as well.  I just typed "How often should I bluff" into Google, then clicked on "Videos."  These are a few of the vidoes in a ten-page list of results:

How to Bluff--Bluffing Tips and Lesson
Should I Bluff C-bet in a 3-Bet Pot?
The Triple Barrel Bluff
Possibly the most RIDICULOUS Poker Bluff EVER
Matt Affleck on Why Poker Players Should Bluff and Value Bet

As mentioned in my previous post, I am now using a HUD (heads-up display) when I play online.  I watched several vidoes on how to get the most from that software and I plan on watching a lot more.  One video discussed some of the many statistics (hundreds) available on the display, what they mean, and how to use them.  It's easy to design your own set of statistics for tracking.  A typical player might use anywhere from 3 to 20 statistics to watch for each player.  Right now I'm using five.  My learning style is to break up what I'm learning into small pieces.  I make sure that I can walk before I try to run..

That video on the statistics changed my mind on which to use. I dumped two of the five statistics that I was using and replaced them with two others.  The three that I kept are used by most players and I have used them before.  For those who care about such things, the two statistics that I dumped were Preflop Agression and Fold to 3-Bet.  I replaced them with C-Bet and Fold to C-bet.  If you want to know what that means or you have questions about anything, go ahead and post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment