Monday, July 30, 2012

Results for 7/22-28: My most extreme one-week variance ever

I have definitely seen the good and the bad of variance this week.  I lost a of bunch of money early in the week, putting my bankroll, which has been steadily shrinking all month, under $100.  Then I won back all of the week's losses, plus more, in my last two tournaments of the week.

--------------------

Poker Profit or Loss, 7/22-7/28
$20.61   tournaments
   1.44    rakeback
   1.00    bonus
--------
$23.05

Current bankrool: $173.04

My weekly profit might not look like a lot, but at one point in the week I was down more than $50.  Then this happened in my last two tournaments:

7/28, 90 players, $5.50 entry fee, cashed 4th of 90 for $38.25 (net $32.75).
7/29, 90 players, $13 entry fee, cashed 4th of 64 for $72.96 (net $59.96).

That turned everything around. Depending on what happens in a couple tournaments tonight, I might wind up positive for the month.
Tournaments like that are what make all the bad days worth it.  There are some tournaments with very large prize pools ($2,500 or more) that I can't play right now because we are having the grandchilren over as much as we can.  But once we finally say goodbye to them, I can take my shots at going deep in a tournaments with more than 700 players, and take a run at a first prize in the neighborhood of $900, instead of the typical $100 first prize that I've been playing for lately.

--------------------

Getting in shape

This is the only bad news in today's post.  I actually gained 0.2 pounds, going from 185.8 to 186.0.  I guess that's what happens when the day before the weigh-in, you go to a birthday party at Red Lobster.  After all, I couldn't turn down the free crabcake appetizers.

I got a good 3/4 mile run in today.  For the first time in a while I felt like I was actually running, instead of just fighting my way through it, so I know that I'm on the right track, so to speak.

--------------------

Poker Hours, 7/22-7/28
14.75   tournaments
  6.00   study
  1.50   administrative
-------
22.25

Exactly the same total hours as last week.  When I can put in more than 20 hours in any of the next few weeks, I can live with that.  What I'm really excited about is that for the first time ever, I spent more than 1/4 of my time (27%) studying.  That's a big deal, because the players that study the most are usually the ones that make the money.

I recently watched a World Poker Tour episode where Andrew Roble was at the final table, and one of his poker friends described his studying as "fanatical", and said,  "he's always working on the math."
http://www.bluffmagazine.com/players/andrew-robl/24186/player-profile

--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment