Saturday, April 27, 2013

Getting in shape


I said a while ago that I was going to get in shape, but doing that got shoved way down the priority list.  To put in another way, I'm fat and lazy.  I weigh almost 50 pounds more than I did on my 30th birthday.

My energy level is way down.  I sleep a lot, and even when I'm awake, I'm often tired.  My wife reminded me that when I'm forcing myself onto a daytime schedule, I'm always tired, and she's right.  But even factoring that in, I would get a lot more done if I was the old Clif who weighed 140 pounds and ran a marathon.

I planned to get some hours in yesterday (Friday) but instead, we went out for our anniversay dinner (33 years), then I took a long nap--not exactly romantic.  I finally started playing at 2301.  This can't go on, and getting in shape needs to be my #1 priority, even above playing.

The math is both simple and undeniable.  If I spend an hour a day running or otherwise working out, I'll have more energy, I'll be more alert when I play, and I'll probably sleep at least 10 hours less per week (which of course will give me more time to play poker.)

So, I'm fat, tired and lazy.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that I'm getting closer to that bankroll magic number of $165, which will let me move up and play some $3.30 SNGs and start making money a lot faster.  My bankroll is now $124.05.

I might still play some $1.65s even when I move up.  One reason would be to keep busy, playing at least two SNGs at a time, even if the $3.30s aren't running.  The other reason is that I've taken a lot of notes on some of the players in the $1.65s.  I probably should start making a list of the weak players for whom I have good notes, and keep them in the mix for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment