Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I have FPS

I have FPS, and I diagnosed it myself..  Yes, even though I know better, I have become a victim of every poker's enemy, Fancy Play Syndrome.

I am always working on things, studying, and trying new things at the table.  One of the weaknesses of my game is that I don't play a lot of hands in multitable tournaments.  The problem with that is that a solid pro, for example, would notice that I'm only playing TT+, AKs AQo+ from early position, and the pro would just fold everything except the top half of my range, only playing with something like QQ+, AKs.  Not only do I need to play more hands, but I need to be less predictable.

So, I've been working on that, for example calling with more hands that play well in multiway pots, and bluffing from early position with suited connectors as a randomized semibluff.

There is nothing wrong with that except that for the last few days I haven't been playing MTTs, I've been playing 1-table SNGs.  SNGs reward tight play, so much so that in a micro SNG against overagressive players, you can play very few hands and cash--and I know that.  I've cashed in SNGs when I've folded more than 30 hands in a row!  (Not an optimal strategy, but it works at some tables.)

So I've been outsmarting myself, thinking about playing more hands and about randomly semibluffing, when most or all of the player at my table wouldn't know the difference anyway, plus it's exactly the wrong strategy for SNGs.  I can't believe that I fell victim to FPS, but I'm glad that I finally figured it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment