Thursday, September 9, 2010

9/9/2010--Results for week of 8/29-9/4

Sorry about getting this done so late. I was out of town over the Labor Day weekend. I got caught up on most of my admin stuff today.

POKER HOURS, 8/29-9/4
Administrative, 3.25
Study, 4.00
Playing, 24.50
--------------
Total, 31.75

I seem to be stuck in a rut of getting around 30 hours a week. I hope I can do better than that, but with the current family situation (which involves custody and visitation of my grandchildren), it's going to be tricky.

Rather than being tied up for a certain amount of the week, it is, from my perspective, even worse. I will still get to see the girls, and I can supervise the visits of their parents (my son and his wife) while this mess is sorted out.

But the other grandparents have temporary custody, they control the day-to-day situation, and it is really important to my playing that the communication is good. I hope that it will be good. I need to know ahead of time what's going on.

We are taking the kids out tomorrow afternoon. We had discussed it earlier, and I just got the call a few minutes ago (around 7:30 P.M.) I was getting, as my wife would say, "freaked out."

I'm starting to have a lot of deep runs in MTTs. I haven't been in the big money, but I've been close, in or around the top 5% of the field. But the $1 MTTs with a good structure only go off a few times a day (there are 4 good ones that start between 6 A.M. and 5 P.M.) I can't get in a situation where I'm 3 hours into a tournament and looking at some serious money, and then the call comes to pick up the kids. I really need to know well ahead of the event. . I can probably take a shot at the 6 A.M. and/or 7 A.M. tournaments it I don't know what's going on that day, but the 11 A.M. and 5:20 P.M tournaments are out unless I know exactly what's going to happen.

I have as alternate possibilites the 90-player SNGs that go off several times per hour, as soon as one fills up. They have a decent structure--not as good as the large MTTs that I mentioned earlier, but not too bad. But even with just 90 players they can take 3 hours to finish. I cashed in one today (8th place) and it took 2 hours and 31 minutes. So my options are really limited, and there isn't much I can do about it if I lose control of my schedule.

POKER PROFIT AND LOSS
Starting bankroll, $63.12
Ending bankroll, $49.24
------------------------
-$13.88

That's not too surprising, and I'm not worried about it. That's the nature of very large tournaments: lots of mincashes or noncashes, with an occasional very large cash which makes up for the losses.

I've always played a mixture of different sizes and types of tournaments, but now that I'm concnetrating on MTTs I'm getting a much better picture of how they run. I feel like I'm getting better by the day, and I've had some fairly deep runs, which bodes well for the future. This month I've had some pretty solid finishes, which have given me enough small cashes to keep me even for the month while I wait for that big cash:

9/4, 53 of 3,847
9/5, out of town
9/6, out of town
9/7, 393 of 6,535
9/7, 212 of 3,784
9/8, 8 of 90

I'm definitely on the right track, knocking on the door just about every day. It should turn out OK if I can get some control of my schedule. I wish that someone else wasn't driving my schedule, but under the circumstances, there isn't much that I can do about it, at least for now.

1 comment:

  1. NB: Check out the NAPL Division 2 tournament under the "Regional" tab at 8:30 EST. It's a $1 tournament that is even fishier than your typical $1 MTT. It has a $1000 guarantee and sometimes only gets 900 runners or so, resulting in an overlay.

    ReplyDelete