Monday, June 18, 2018

An Intense Day


Yesterday was all about poker.  I started my day by solving the problem with the database connection.  After I did that, things lined up so I could play tournaments close to one right after the other with only a few breaks.

The tournaments that I played had the following starting and end times:

1430-1549
1830-2044
2107-2230
2314-0150

As is often true with poker, the tournaments were a wild ride.  I was down about $40 after the first three, than made up half of that with the last one.  After all the technical problems this week it was nice to get a lot of poker in, but I'll have to make sure that I get my ten study hours in this week, so part of today will be memorization time (flash cards.)

I've come a long way in a short time.  About a month ago I got my Juicy Stakes Poker bankroll above $400, then I was stuck between about $360 and $400 for a while.  About a week ago I hit $900, then it dropped a little and I've been stuck between $850 and $900.  The current number is $865.59.

Now that the technical problems are fixed, the next major project will be a withdrawal from Juicy Stakes poker.  It's more complicated than just taking some money out.

First, I have to decide how much to withdraw.  I want to take some money out to operate the business, but again, it's not that simple.  Here are the steps that I'm thinking my way through:

1. I have to get a lot of information and paperwork together.  The first withdrawal on Juicy Stakes Poker is a complicated process.

2. I have to decide how much to take out.  The minimum withdrawal is $250 and I was planning to take that much out when I had a bankroll of $650.  I wanted to leave enough in the bankroll to keep playing and keep moving up to higher levels--but now the situation has changed.  My bankroll is over $850, so I have to think some more about how much I should take out and how it should be apportioned.

3. I need money for basic business needs like office supplies, but there are other needs as well.
I want to get in an online class at pokercoaching.com where the teacher is World Poker Tour Player of the Year Jonathan Little.  I already learn by watching his videos, and I can't even imagine how much that class would improve my game.  That's $37 a month I think, which would be $444 a year, a pretty large chunk to take out of my winnings.

4. I need to work on my computer skills.  The computer is my most important money-making tool and my 1980s computer science classes don't hold up in the 21st century. I want to at least subscribe to PC Magazine (Personal Computing) so that I can keep up on the latest trends as well as software and hardware developments.

I can't do or afford all of those things at once.  Of course, some of it will depend on how much money I make during the rest of the year.  If my bankroll keeps growing like it is now, $37 per month for coaching won't be a big deal when my average profit is $200 or more per month, but I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to make a profit every month.  It doesn't work that way.  I made a profit in 2017, but there were three months when I lost money.

 I have some tough choices to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment