Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Day Without Poker and a Disappointing Week


It is 2336 on Saturday, 12/24.  For the first time since being a full-time poker players has been a reality instead of a goal, I didn't play poker at all today.  The week will be over in less than half an hour.  The day, and the week, got away from me.  I was under the weather for a few hours one day, and there were a lot of Christmas things going on with relatives.  Also, my wife and I went to a New Years Eve Christmas service at our church.

I didn't get close to putting in 40 hours this week.  I'll wind up with 27. That's not going to get the job done.  I try to pile a lot of hours into the first few days so that I don't get behind, but nothing seemed to work out right this week.

"Piling up" hours isn't exactly a goal. I like flexibility, and rather than working eight-hour days, I usually wind up working five or six hours a day seven days a week.  That usually gets me to my 40 hours and lets me do what I want during the day.  I failed to consider that despite my best efforts, occasionally an entire day is going to get blown away.  I can't count on being able to work every day to get my hours in.

I suppose that I could just accept that I'm not going to get in 40 hours every week.  After all, people do take days off and go on vacation.  However, I can't afford to think about time off until I'm turning my poker playing into money.

I think that the minimum cashout on Americas Cardroom is $100.  When I can do that without putting my online bankroll in jeopardy, then I can start thinking about things like an occasional day off.  Until then, I should do what a lot of small business owners do--work 50 hours a week, or 60, or whatever it takes to get the business off the ground.  It's almost 2017 and I've said that in January I want to hit the ground running.  It's time to make that happen.

I'll end on a positive note.  Studying was 30% of my work time this week.  Keeping my study time at or above 20% is one of my most important goals.  In the long turn  I have no doubt that a study emphasis will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment