Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Day of Study


I said yesterday that my study percentage for the week was way too low and that I was going to fix that. That is exactly what I did.  I only played poker for 1.25 hours yesterday.  Everything else was study.  I said yesterday that this week only 12% of my work time has been spent studying.  I turned that around and now study is 27%, right where I want it to be, at or above 25%.

Here's what I studied:

I reviewed flash cards for the top 10%, top 20% and top 50% of hands.

I watched a video on how to use the equilab.com poker equity calculator.  I already use it, but is has features that I have not yet learned to use.

I watched Jonathan Little Weekly Poker Hand videos 78-81,

I spent time in the twoplustow.com poker forums.  While I was there I found a forum thread discussing poker players who take Adderall.  I wrote a long post about how my life was falling apart before I was diagnosed, at age 40, and got the right medication.

I won't go into the details, but I have a 99th percentile IQ and still failed to graduate from two colleges.  That tells you all that you need to know about how ADD can mess someone up.  After telling my story, I finished it with this, just so there was no misunderstanding about how I use the medication:

I don't get high. I don't get a buzz. Adderall doesn't give me an advantage at the table. I make sure that I get enough sleep to play a long tournament. If I'm too tired to play well I don't pop a pill, I skip the tournament. I take Adderall as directed, one pill each day. It is simply a drug that I need to take in order to lead a normal life, just as Insulin is for a diabetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment