Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Trying To Get Something Done


I'm with my mother-in-law today.  I'm usually too tired to play or study at  night after she goes to bed, so I decided to make the most of the time when I'm with her in the living room during the day.  It didn't work.

Even though she was reading the paper most of the time that I was working in the living room,  I couldn't concentrate.  I can't even do something as simple as update my poker records and files with the TV on and directly in my line of sight.  I knew if I kept trying to do it, I would just mess it up.  I have ADD, and I have to accept my limitations.

What is harder to accept is that I'm going to be here 3-4 days of the week and sleep a lot the day I get home--and I'll acomplish nothing poker-related during that time.  I can't continue like this.

I remember listening to radio talk show host Bruce Williams.  He is a self-made millionaire, and one of his callers needed some help with his time management.  Williams said that at one time he was a full-time college student, worked full-time, and still had time for his wife and children.  The incredulous caller wanted to know how he did it.

Williams replied with a question--"Do you watch TV?"  The caller said that he did.  Williams said, "I didn't.  For a year."  Long silence from the caller.  He wasn't happy.  

I'm very resistant to making that decision.  I guess that shows where my priorities are.  There are a lot of TV shows that I really like watching, but if I'm serious about poker, my choice is obvious. I have to be able to play enough, study enough, and keep my records straight, whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment