Thursday, October 18, 2012

Change in tournament selection strategy

I finally got my computer back.  It's nice to be playing again.

I rethought my tournament selection strategy (again) and I shouldn't be playing most of the available, MTTs, given my small bankroll.  I'm going to play a lot of SNGs for a while, mostly at $1.50, to slowly but surely grind up my bankroll.

There is one MTT that I'm going to keep playing.  I will still be playing the $5.50  8 P.M. MTTs with 500 or more players whenever I can.  They go off twice a week with guaranted prize pools of $2,500 and $3,500.

You might be wondering why I'm concentrating on such big fields, since larger fields mean more variance, which is what I'm trying to avoid  There are two things that make these tournaments always worth playing.

First, the fields are very soft.  The play is bad enough that, in my opinion, my positive expectation more than makes up for the variance that goes with larger fields.  Big prize polls attract fish hoping to get lucky.  Compared to 100-player tournaments at the same level, the players in the $2,500 and $3,500 guaranteed tournaments are really bad.

Second, it really isn't that hard to cash.  Sure, there are a lot more players, but Americas Cardroom MTTs generally pay 20% of the field, whether it is a 100-player tournament with 20 cashing, or an 1,000-player tournament with 200 cashing.

So, that's the plan.  Catch up on my recordkeeping, lots of studying, lots of SNGs, and play the two big tournaments.  There will be a lot of $1 to $5 net cashes from the SNGs, which isn't very sexy.  I just played one for $1.50, took second, and won $4.05. But it's within my bankroll, I can play several in a day, and sooner or later I'll play one of those big tournaments and get a big cash, which will move things along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment