Friday, October 19, 2012

A Surprise Win

I said in my previous post that I was going to cut out the MTTs for a while and play a bunch of SNGs to lower my variance.  Yesterday afternoon I was the second player to enter a $2 SNG.  Two more players quickly joined (it takes nine), then nothing happened.  It went back down to two players.  It would get up to three or four again, then someone would get tired of waiting and drop out.  After about 20 minutes of this, I noticed that it was almost 4 P.M. and that a $5 MTT with a fairly weak field was about to go off.

Since there was no SNG action I decided to give it a shot, one last fling with the MTTs.  This was a Thursday, and I was hoping that there would be more SNG traffic on the weekend.  88 players entered, and 3 hours and 45 minutes later I won it, for a cash of $77.  Since I had a little money to work with, I decided to enter another small $5 MTT at 10 P.M., and I got 11th of 88 for a small cash.

To make a long story short, three days ago my bankroll was under $20.  After 4 straight cashes (the two MTTs plus a first and a second in SNGs), it's now $98.

It's nice to be back from the dead, but I'm still going to have to be very careful with my bankroll.  There are some tournaments with great sturctures that cost around $10 to enter, but I have to be realistic and stay away from those for a while.  In general, my tournament selection strategy will still be to play the two big weekly $5 MTTs along with a bunch of SNGs.  If my bankroll keeps going up, I might throw in one of the smaller MTTs every once in a while, just to keep in practice and apply what I'm studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment