Sunday, January 30, 2011

Results for week of 1/23-1/29

HOURS
Administrative     1.75
Study                       4.00
Play                        24.50
                                -------
Total Hours        30.25

I'm really emabarassed by this.  For some reason, I thought that last week I was working harder than I in fact was.  When I'm not making a contribution to the family income, there is no excuse for letting this happen.  There should be very few weeks when I'm not able to work an absolute minimum of 40 hours a week.  This week I will be spending an 8-hour shift watching my grandchildren while my son works second shift.  That might mean that I don't go much over 40, but I better plan to put in enough hours the other days that I get at least 40.

Next week I will mark in my planner times that will be committed to studying or playing.  I said in an earlier post that I didn't need to schedule as closely when I wasn't playing MTTs (which require the setting aside of large blocks of time).  Clearly that was the wrong approach.

I am also making another change.  From now on, every week my goal will be to get at least 30 hours of playing time, and at least 5 hours of study.  Playing time is obvious, but I have to keep a long-term perspective--I have to rack up the study hours to stay sharp and put more weapons in my arsenal.  Five hours will be set aside for studying, because if I want to be a pro, I need to start acting like one.

The top pros spend up to 50% of their time studying.  I've been aiming for 10% study, and that's not enough.  By getting 5 study hours in every week, I'll be upping that percentage, and training myself to act like the professional poker player that I claim to be.

I will keep very close track of my hours throughout the week, and administrative tasks will be done only if I'm on track in the other two categories.  Administration will be in addition to the 30 + 5 hours playing and studying, not instead of those hours, and it will have to add up to at least 40 hours at the end of the week.


PROFIT AND LOSS
Starting bankroll 1/23  $43.84
Ending bankroll 1/29    $50.96
                                                 --------
                                               +$7.12

I was hoping for a little more, but I'm not too upset with that number.  Percentagewise that's a decent bankroll jump for one week.  Also, I was getting back in the swing of concentrating on single-table tournaments.  I switched my book study to Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman, and I learned a a lot about the current situation regarding places and times to find the softest STTs.  Also, I had to get the feel of which STTs were the best for playing more than one table.

I'm getting settled into my new routine now, and unless I get very unlucky, I expect next week to be even better, especially since I'll be putting in a more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment