Monday, April 8, 2019

A New Start


I haven't posted for a while.  It's time that I let you know why.  The main reason is that online poker is a technological mess, making it almost impossible for me to play.  I made a profit last year, but playing online has steadily become a very poor option. I will describe those and other issues as well:

1. Internet problems.  I called Comcast twice but they couldn't fix my very slow internet.  My wife and I both work at home and her employer requires that she use their Comcast router.

2. Holdem Manager, the program that I use to track my results as well as the results and tendencies of my online opponents, hasn't worked for me for months.  Many players, including me, can't even get the program to open.  If I don't have that available and my opponents do, I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight.  For that and other reasons I have almost completely stopped playing online. According to the company,  "sometime in 2019" Holdem Manager 3 is coming out and perhaps that will solve the problem.

3. Americas Cardroom, one of the online sites on which I played, has had major lagging and crashing issues.  As with Holdem Manager, it's not just my problem.  Many players have complained or left the site.

4. I got a nasty surprise from another site, Juicy Stakes Poker.  When I was ready to withdraw about $600 from the site I found out that they charged a $250 fee for each withdrawal and that that would be the case with future withdrawals as well.*  I took my money (minus $250) off the site and closed the account.  I'm waiting for my check to come in the mail.

I am now concentrating on two things, studying and playing live tournaments.  As my online options were falling apart, the live options have greatly improved.  That will be my next post.

As, always, your questions and comments are welcome (see box below.)  I look forward to hearing from you.

----------

*I could avoid future withdrawal penalties if I played enough tournaments in a calendar month, but as Juicy Stakes is a low-volume site, I would be unlikely to hit those numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment