Monday, May 7, 2018

Murder Trial


I apologize for not posting in a while. I haven't posted my April results.  I haven't played for a while either.  Two things happened that badly messed with my schedule.  One was both of the sites on which I play being unavailable.  The second was that I was called to jury duty for a murder trial.

This was a big deal in the state of Michigan.  It was all over the news for months before the trial.  So many people knew about it that 200 people were called in for jury duty, so that those who were too invested, or otherwise unsuited for the trial, could be eliminated, leaving enough people to produce 12 jurors plus two alternates.

It was a long process that unfolded over five days.  Most of that time was spent sitting and waiting.  We spent hours with as many as 50 people in a room, some of us standing due to lack of space.  There were several steps in the process, which took five days before we were down to 60 prospective jurors.

Once we were down to 60, we were called for questioning by the lawyers in a random order chosen by a computer, then more waiting.  We were down to about 40, then 20, still no jury and I was still waiting, until finally there were only five of us left.  Then, after consulting with the lawyers and the defense, the judge said, "We have a jury."  Just like that.  All that waiting going down from 200 people to five, and it was over.  I wasn't rejected, they just never got to me because I was one of the last computer picks.  The trial starts tomorrow.

When that was over I was ready to get back to playing poker, but the two sites on which I play were down, and several days later, they still are.  Unless something unusual happens, my next post will be about that.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome (see box below.)


No comments:

Post a Comment