Saturday, January 6, 2018

Updating My Records


I apologize that I have not yet posted the December or the 2017 results.  I've been busy setting up for 2018 and I have a bit of a mess to clean up.

I have planned for a while to upgrade my recordkeeping system for ease of use.  That upgrade became even more important when I started digging into the rather complicated rules for withdrawing winnings from Juicy Stakes Poker.

I decided to add more columns to the spreadsheet to keep track of how close I am to meeting the requirements not only for my first withdrawal, but for others withdrawals in the future.  While I was doing this I was tinkering with the spreadsheet, adding all of the information after each tournament and seeing how the newer version worked for what I need to do.

While I was tweaking my systems there were several versions of that spreadsheet printed.  I keep a printed report of every tournament, six tournaments per page, in case the IRS has any questions.  Every tournament is considered a "taxable event" by the IRS, so I'm very careful to do more than the minimum reporting for poker, which is in my case a Schedule C business.

Just when I was pretty happy with everything and ready to try out the final version, the printer went down.  Now I have old and new spreadsheets to consolidate, but with the printer down, I've been recording my 2018 results by hand on notebook paper.

I hope to resolve this soon and get back to my regular schedule of about 30 hours a week playing poker and 10 hours studying.  I'll do my best to get it done early next week, but in any case, I'll post the rest of the 2017 information in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment