Monday, January 15, 2018

A good start to 2018


For the most part things have gone pretty well in the first month of 2018.  The numbers are pretty good--my top three cashes in the first 14 days of January 2014 are almost equal (about $5 difference) to my top three cashes in January 2015.  I'm on a roll right now, running deep consistently.  In my last three tournaments I finished 10th of 67, 7th of 99 and 2nd of 45.  When I sit down to play, I don't hope to make it to the final table, I expect to be there.  I don't know how much of that is playing better and how much is positive variance.  My guess is that it's about 50% of each.

I'm much better at playing final tables that I was just a few months ago.  I must admit, however, that a lot fell into place for me last night.  In the 2214 tournament I moved up from something like 35th out of 45 to the final table (8 players) in about an hour.  After that things happened without my playing a major role.

Several players were knocked out very quickly.  It seemed like every time I looked at the screen there was one less player than before.  Sometimes at a wild table you can sit back and watch the other players knock each other out, but I wasn't doing that.  I spent about 15 minutes folding a run of mostly bad hands.  During that time 5 of the 8 players were knocked out.

The only problem that I've had so far this month is that I haven't done much studying.  I spent a lot of time in late December and early January finalizing the updates for my 2018 spreadsheets.  Most of my usual study time was surrendered to administrative time.  Instead of 10% of my hours being devoted to study, it was much closer to 5% in the first two weeks of this year.

Today is the beginning of the third week in January.  There are always things to tweak in how I manage my time in all three categories (playing, studying and administrative) but now that I've made all the major changes to my spreadsheets, things should get back to normal. I expect to spend at least 25% of my time on study almost every week for the rest of the year.  The study time is at least as important as my playing time.  I would rather come up a little short on playing time than study time.

I'm a long-term planner.  I don't think much about tomorrow or next week, I think about the next month or the next year.  When I say that study is more important than playing it's because I'm planning for the long term.  As I move up the levels the players will be better.  On average the players in $5 tournaments are better than in $1 tournaments, the players at $10 are better than the players at $5 and the players at $50 are better than the players at $25.  I don't study only so I can beat the games that I play now.  I'm studying to be profitable in the tournaments that I'll be playing five years from now.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome (see the box below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment