Friday, August 11, 2017

This Is What It's Supposed to Look Like



Things are getting crazy when I play poker.  The swings are getting bigger, both in single tournaments and in general.  I had two recent tournaments where it wasn't long before I didn't have enough chips to play one more orbit around the table and I would be in something like 49th place out of 50.  I somehow turned both tournaments around and just missed cashing.

My bankroll has been moving around a lot as well.  I was up $25 last month.  In the first week of August I was -$25.  After a few small cashes in the last week and a good result today (4th of 70 players) I'm almost even for the month at -$5.82.

That's what poker is supposed to look like.  If I'm taking the risk to win a tournament instead of just trying to get in the top 18 and get a cash, there are going to be a lot of highs and lows.  When Jonathan Little says that it doesn't bother him when he plays 50 straight tournaments without cashing, he means it, because he knows that a 6- or 7-figure cash will come sooner or later if he's making good decisions at the table.

I'm finally starting to believe that it takes big risks in poker to have good results.  I always knew that intellectually, but I never internalized it.  Playing for three hours, then going all-in, when waiting for one player to get knocked out would put me in the money, was a very difficult adjustment.  I can do that with confidence now, because when I really understand the math, I can let math overrule caution.

Things are really starting to turn around, for a lot of reasons.  First, the family situation of being cash-poor might be ending very soon.  That has a lot of implications that I might explain in the near future.

Second, I'm putting in a lot of study time and it's really paying off.  I always aim for at least 25% of my poker time studying.  The last three weeks it's been 32%, 33%, and so far this week 29%.  Very few players study that much, in fact, most pros would say that I should spend more time playing instead. In my case, I'm sure that's not the right strategy and I'm very happy with all the things that I'm learning and all the areas in which I'm improving.

Third, a lot of that studying is a book that I've wanted to get for a long time, because I wanted to improve my play in one of my weakest areas.  The title is Bluffs: How to Intelligently Apply Aggression to Increase Your Profits from Poker by Jonathan Little and Albert Hart. 

Bluffs is helping me open up my game quite a bit. I've known for a long time that I should be bluffing a lot more often, but knowing that isn't the same thing as knowing what spots to look for when I do it.  I have read the book through once and I'm on my second reading..  I'm taking notes on things that I will need to go back and study more deeply when I read it for the third time.  I'm also making notes on things to do differently at the table right now.

I'm more optimistic about making an income playing poker than I have been in a long time.  In 2016 I didn't have my own office.  I didn't live in a quiet neighborhood.  There are still a lot of pieces to put together, but a change in our financial situation would take of a lot of that.  I'm running a business and that requires software, hardware, office supplies and a lot of other things.  When I don't have to worry about having enough money to buy for toner for my printer, things are going to get a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment