Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in Two Days


March 26 and March 27 were certainly interesting poker days.

I'm not making money nearly as fast as I need to, so I decided that it was time to work on playing multiple tables on Juicy Stakes poker.  March 26th was a train wreck.

I knew that it would take me a little time to get comfortable with two tables, but it was a lot harder than I expected. Things were happening faster, but more important, it was an information overload.  I watch  nine different statistics for each player on my HUD (heads-up display.)  I pan to add another statistic to track sometime soon.  Some players track a lot more stats than I do.  There is a  link to an example of a poker HUD display is at the bottom of this post.

The trouble was that I wasn't adding 1 new stat for each player, as I plan to do sometime soon., I was adding 9 statistics for each of 9 new players,which comes to 81 more numbers for me to sort through. That sorting has to be done quickly.  Once it's my turn I have 25 seconds to act.

When I added the second table (9 more players) I had to scan the stats of 19 players instead of 9. That's a lot of extra information to add to the other things I have to think about at the table.  I crashed and burned at both tables, getting knocked out of two tournaments pretty quickly.

I didn't make huge errors, just a lot of small ones.  For example, I missed that someone's stack had become small enough that he was in all-in or fold mode, which affected how I should have reacted to that player.  That particular situation didn't cost me a lot of chips, but a lot of small errors added up to big trouble, and soon it was over.  I failed to cash twice, in the only two tournaments that I play which can draw over 100 players (more players equals a bigger prize pool.) I was down for the month with just a few days to go..  I had hoped to string together a few winning months, but March was in trouble.

I turned all that around in less than two hours.

On March 27th I played a bounty tournament.  The idea is that there is a prize pool, but each player also has a bounty on himself.  In this case, I could get a $1 bounty for each player that I knocked out.

I don't consider myself to be a good bounty tournament player.  I am so focused on making it to the final table and getting a big cash that it's hard for me to get excited about picking up an extra dollar or two in bounties-but hat night, everything came together.

It was a $2.20 tournament.  I jumped out to a big chip lead after 15 minutes and I was somewhere in the top ten for the rest of the tournament.  I made it to the final table as one of the smallest stacks but that didn't last long  I knocked out 3 players at the final table and I won the tournament.  First place paid $21.45,  I also knocked out 3 players at the final table ( I had knocked out 2 earlier) giving me a total of 5 bounties, adding $5 to my winnings.

I'm now up $17.45 for March.  That's not a lot compared to January or February, but it gets me closer to my bankroll goals.  Once I get comfortable with playing two tables, things should move a lot faster.

One more thing.  In an earlier post I said that I started with $34 on the site, then ran it  up to $100 in early February.  I said then that the next goal was to have $150 on the site.  My Juicy Stakes Poker bankroll is now.$158.62.

Now that my Schedule C poker business is better capitalized, I have more leeway in my tournament choices as well as with other business decisions..  Add to that the extra profit that I will make once I'm comfortable playing two tables and things should start moving faster very soon.

---------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=holdem+Manager+HUD&safe=off&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS667US674&espv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2-ezy-PXSAhVK6IMKHfUxC6cQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=gaPvAjc8tpzuAM






No comments:

Post a Comment