Monday, August 24, 2015

Sorting Through the Options


Since I don't have much of a bankroll to work with,I'm exploring all of my options to keep my skills up and get my practice in.  While I'm doing this, the poker landscape is constantly changing.  It would only take a few cashes to give me a little breathing room, but until that happens, here are what seem to be my options, in no particular order:

1. Play less often.  I have a little free money to goose my bankroll each week, so if I only play a couple tournaments a week, my bankroll won't decrease,

Drawback--World Poker Tour Player of the Year Johnathan Little states that it takes playing 100 live tournaments just to get good at the mechanics.  The fewer tournaments I play, the longer it takes me to get those mechanics nailed down.

2. Play less expensive tournaments.  Instead of playing $50 tournaments I could play other tournaments out-of-town for half that price.

Drawback--Cheaper tournaments tend to have fewer starting chips, less deep play, and in general poorer structures.  All of my play and study in 2015 has been about being a winner in deepstacked tournaments.  I've ov erhauled everything, adjusting how many hands and which hands I play in different situations..  I eventually want to get better at all types of structures and tournaments, but I know my learning style, and I work best mastering one aspect of a problem or challenge before I move on to the next one.  Also, deepstacked tournaments will always be the tournaments that I play the most, because that's where the real money is.

3. Move some of my play to online.  I have enough money in my online bankroll to play tournaments at micro to low stakes with no problem..

Drawback--I'm not set up for playing regularly online now.  I would need to change and update some software and probably get a poker-only computer.

Also, online tournament choices are horrible right now.  The times when I could play on PokerStars and find a good tournament any hour of the day are long gone.  Right now I know what my poker schedule is (being prepared to play until at least midnight) and what my caregiver schedule is (being up by 0900 every day.)  Making the schedule switches while playing whatever online tournament I could find, whenever I could find it. would make a wreck of my already difficult sleep schedule.  A few days ago I was so tired that I slept 14 hours straight, woke up to go to the bathroom and I was still tired.

So, the choices aren't easy, but that's not the real problem.  The real problem is that I'm a family caregiver 3-4 days a week while I'm trying to get poker going.  No one in the family thought that we would be doing it for two years, and in fact, the person I was splitting the main caregiver duties has been looking for excuses to get time off and generally bail on her duties.  She found someone to sub for her (which is happening very frequently now.)  I'm in a really awful spot now.  Because I'm doing the right thing, I'm the live-in caregiver 50% of the time, with two other people splitting the caregiving doing 25% each.  I'm doing the right thing taking care of my mother-in-law, but I'm being taken advantage of and I can't do my job (poker).  I'm not sure what to do.  I don't know if there is anything that I can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment