Saturday, February 7, 2015

My Sick Month


I'm watching an episode of the Heartland Poker Tour and typing this during the commercials.  The HPT is a US midwestern poker tour that makes stops in my state (Michigan) at least twice a year.

I've been sick for about a month.  I haven't played poker, live or online.  I had to take some time off from being a caregiver for my mother-in-law. I hated doing that, because there are only two of us.

Some of the disagnoses were uncertain and ultimately changed, but in the past month I have either had, or thought I had: shingles, cellulitis, strep, a really bad cold, and tooth pain.  I didn't have the first two, I still have the last two.  The cold has been really nasty.  I lost a lot of sleep because I was too busy blowing my nose to be able to sleep.  It's been a slow recovery.  I'm not used to being sick like this.  I had a job where I worked all three shifts and put in a lot of overtime, and I only missed three work days over 12 years.

I think I'm most of the way back now.  The cold is still hanging on, but I'm blowing my nose every ten minutes instead of every minute.  I'll be back with my mother in law tomorrow, and since I'm only on duty three days this week I should get through it OK.

Yesterday I was finally able to get a few things done after a couple days of serious sleeping (12 hours one of those days.)  I did our taxes during the day, and last night I played some online poker.

It wasn't exactly a big poker night. I played two tournaments and didn't cash in the first one.  Then I played a SNG (sit-n-go, a one-table tournament) and cashed, second place out of nine.  Net result for the two tournaments--a profit of 22 cents.

Another exciting day in the glamorous life of a professional poker player.


No comments:

Post a Comment