Wednesday, August 18, 2010

8/18/2010--Is poker immoral? (1 of 2)

Nothing much happening with my poker bankroll this week. I'm in a very weird breakeven stretch where my bankroll has barely moved. I've played around 20 tournaments this week, ranging from 9 players to 6,424. I started the week at $82.73, and now I'm at $87.62. Those are also the low and high numbers for the week so far.

----------------------

The main topic of this post, and the next, will concern a debate in the twoplustwo.com poker fourms about the morality of poker. It seems odd to me that someone would bother to play poker, as well as post in a poker forum, if they thought it was immoral. But I suppose that people make all kinds of compromises for money.

The post that follows was my general answer to the question, "Is poker immoral?" Tomorrow's post will be longer, and is my response to a specific topic which came up in the thread--Does is say in the Bible that poker is immoral?

------------------------

Re: Is playing poker immoral?

Here is how I deal with the morality question:

I run in 5K and 10K races. I pay an entry fee, and the best runners win cash prizes.

I play chess tournaments. I pay an entry fee, and the players with the most points after a few matches (1 point for a win and 0.5 points for a draw) win cash prizes.

I play poker tournaments. I pay an entry fee, and the players that last the longest win cash prizes.

Why is there a morality issue involved in poker, but not in running or playing chess?

No comments:

Post a Comment