Tuesday, March 9, 2010

#16, 3/9/2010 Still going well; bankroll management

It occured to me that I should start both numbering and dating my posts, for easier reference. I didn't do either when I started out.



Week of 2/28 through 3/6, +$14.80
Last three days, 3/6 through 3/8, +$20.57
Bankroll end of 3/8, $150.37


I would like to do better than this, but as far as bankroll growth, if in my down months (daytime schedule) my bankroll goes up by $100, that would be a decent result. And since I've been a winner as high as $10 in the past, those targets are definitely achievable.


I moved up to $4 tournaments when I had 50 buy-ins, which is a bit low if I mix in many larger tournaments (which of course have greater variance), so I'm going to start adding an extra buy-in for each dollar that I move up. So before I move up, to start the process of getting my mathematical risk of ruin down to something like 2%*, I'm going to wait to move up from $3.30 to $4.40 maximum buy-in until I have $4.40 x 51 = $224.40.

My bankroll is over $150, so by bumping it an average of $25 a week I will be able to play at $4.40 in 3 weeks. It should be sooner than that, since in April I will be on my night schedule, and should get more playing hours and make more money.

Of course as I move up in buy-in level, the prize pools will get bigger, and I will win more money, and I will start building my bankroll for the next level up, again requiring one extra buy-in. When I get to $5 I'll start thinking about when I can start taking money out to help with the family bills.

It's an interesting balancing act--start make a small contribution to the family budget (say, $25 a month) once I start playing $5 tournaments, which will slow down my bankroll building. Or I can wait, build my bankroll more quickly, and contribute $100 or more a little later.

Of course, there is a third option. I might make a big cash in a tourament. Last year I won $250 cash in a live tournament (first out of about 50 players), and a $384 in an online tournament (5th of 2,200).

That big score will happen again sooner or later, but I have to be careful when it does. I don't want to move up in levels too fast. Rocketing through the levels because of a couple big scores can be dangerous, because you don't take the time to gain experience at each level. You don't get to know the players, but more than that, moving up too fast can put you in tournaments against much better players before you're ready.


Whatever happens with my bankroll, I'll follow a suggestion that I read on the 2+2 forums to spend a month at each level. (When the writer used the word "level" he was talking about $5 or $10 jumps, but since I'm not even back up to $5 yet, I'll have to think a little smaller.


I'm back on track now, and I'm not about to screw it up.


* The truth is that I can't really accurately calculate my risk of ruin. I have very small samples sizes over many types and sizes of tournaments, so trying to calculate my ROR would be statistically meaningless. But I know that with the types of tournaments that I play and the size of my bankroll, my ROR is way over 2%, and I need to bring that number down much closer to zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment